Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My job the serious side

As I have said before, I am an OB nurse. Here is my take on my job on a serious note:

I work nights, weekends and holidays. I work 12 hour shifts and at times it turned into 14 or 16 hours. I miss my kid's school functions. I work opposite of my husband and have to work extra hard to keep my marriage healthy. I miss meal times and bedtimes with my family so that I can be with yours. I have to hold my bladder and not eat or drink sometimes for 12 hours because I am helping your wife/mother/sister/ daughter to bring a new life into this world and they dont want me to leave thier side. I have given a hand to hold and a shoulder to cry on when a baby is taken much to soon and most of the time I am there crying with you. I have comforted babies that are sick, dying, or premature. I have the knowledge to help and comfort you and your family when things don't go as planned and we are rushing to the OR to save the life of your unborn baby or sometimes even yourself. I listen and am empethetic to all of your aches, pains and complaints regarding pregnancy because I know, I have been there. I am underpaid and overworked but yet I come into every shift with a smile on my face and am genuine when I say that I want to be here. This is what it means to be a OB / Nursery nurse. I am proud to say that I am one!

No comments:

Post a Comment